Decisions, decisions. I made too many in fact. Read a lot of posts and watched a lot of videos about how to make money online. Then decided to join the ones that had the most potential for me to make a little money. These people had a lot of followers so they must know what they're talking about, right?
So I thought I could do it all. Become a seller on Amazon, join Amazon's affiliate program, post on social media AND start a blog. What?!
Yes, what and what a mistake that was. I was SO eager to get off the ground that I rushed into making too many decisions. My mind was in overdrive and the possibilities were endless.
After clearing my head and thinking about it properly, I've made a list of the things that I really want to do.
Five Steps To Start Blogging Today
1. Start a blog! Everyone needs a platform and for some, a blog is a great way to get out your ideas and information. Another option is doing YouTube videos, if you would rather speak to your audience. I'm a better writer than I am speaking to an audience so for me a blog was the better choice.
2. Then decide what topic you're going to write about. The most important thing to remember? How is my blog going to help others? People are always searching for answers, why not give them one? Mine is helping others by blogging about blogging and how to make money from it. I know there are a lot of people doing this already, but everyone learns differently from different people.
3. You NEED a target audience. It should be clear once you've decided on your topic. My main audience is stay at home mums, but it can be anyone who wants to work from home. Choosing your topic and audience comes hand in hand. Don't pick a topic about gardening only to start writing about books!
4. How will you get traffic? I think it's safe to say that everyone is connected to at least one form of social media. I am a Pinterest and Instagram user. The reason I started this was because them. I'm choosing Pinterest for my main source of traffic. Pinterest is actually a search engine, not a social media app. I always use it for my searches because of the pretty images and straight to point tag lines.
5. I signed up for WordPress. This was , and still is the best decision I have made so far. I'm not at all tech savvy and WordPress has made it very easy for me to turn my vision into something to be proud of.
If you do decide that WordPress is for you, ( you should because it's the best, really!) I have a step-by-step tutorial on how to start a blog for you to read before making your decision.
So what are you waiting for? If you've been thinking about starting a blog, just do it! Don't be one of those people who say “I wish I did this earlier”.
If you're not sure where to start, I have a Resources page with a list of all the tools you'll need to get started and have your site up and running in no time!
If you have just started a blog, that's great! Have a read of my post about How To Boost Traffic To Your Blog.